Monday, June 28, 2004

Feast of St. Irenaeus of Lyons, Bishop, Defender of the Faith and Martyr

I love sharing my birthday w/St. Irenaeus' feast day, partly because it's one saint whose memorial date is a lot easier for me to remember. But also because I think our birthdays should have a liturgical "frame;" they shouldn't be self-standing, nakedly projecting our self-significance onto the world. Irenaeus is infinitely more interesting than me and I'd much rather share gems from his Against Heresies than birthday cards. So here's one:

"The glory of God gives life; those who see God receive life. Men will therefore see God if they are to live; through the vision of God they become immortal and attain to God himself."

Check out the link--I had no idea Calvinists destroyed his tomb & reliquary in 1562! I hate when they do that.